Hospital Communication Kit in Memory of Becky Crawford
A beloved Commissioner and HLAA member, Becky was a staunch advocate for effective communication in healthcare settings.
Effective communication in medical situations is essential to timely and appropriate treatment. The Hearing Loss Association of America (HLAA) Kentucky Chapters, Department for Behavioral Health, Developmental, and Intellectual Disabilities, and Kentucky Commission on the Deaf and Hard of Hearing have partnered to develop the Becky Crawford Memorial Hospital Communication Kit. Each HLAA chapter has kits available to its members, champions, and friends. In addition, individuals may elect to “print at home” some of the resources included in the kit.
- Hospital Kit Cover Page
- Sample Letter to a Medical Professional (Be sure to edit this letter to fit your needs)
- Hospital Brochure
- Communication Needs Cards (4 cards per sheet)
- Communication Tip Cards (3 cards per sheet)
Resource Sheets by Kentucky Region:
Items You May Consider Adding to Your Kit:
- A small Ziploc bag with a note indicating it is for your processor(s). Include a safety pin to keep the bag attached to you when processors are removed.
- A button that says “Please Face Me” to indicate your need for eye contact and/or speechreading.
- A small notebook and pen for writing short notes back and forth.
Resources available through the Hearing Loss Association of America national office:
- Plain Sticker Roll: 1000 Stickers with the Universal Symbol for Hearing Loss or Use of Technology - $30 + Shipping and Handling. Stickers can be used on paper charts, bracelets, etc.
- Wide variety of magazines and brochures regarding hearing loss, hearing assistive technology, and HLAA itself. Prices vary and many items are available for shipping and handling only.
Couldn't find what you need? You are always welcome to contact KCDHH for any of your advocacy needs!