Bulletin Vlog Communication Cards Publications Public VP Library DeaFestival Contact Us Sitemap
Search KCDHH:
Find us on Facebook

Equipment FAQ

AT&T Wireless Devices FAQ

How to Add a New Email to Facetime

How to Add a New Email to Messages


Telecommunications Access Program General FAQ

Click on a question below to see the answer.

Is there any assistance for getting a telephone line?

Yes, the Lifeline Program may be able to assist you.

The Lifeline program was designed to preserve and promote telephone services to qualified low-income households. The program provides a monthly discount on local service, which can be either LANDLINE or WIRELESS service. The combined federal and state discount in Kentucky is up to $12.75 per month.

Lifeline brochure

What if I don't know which equipment to apply for?

You can apply for the specialized telecommunications equipment (STE) that will best enable you to use the telephone. You must choose your STE carefully as equipment CANNOT be exchanged once it is distributed. If you are unsure which piece of equipment will benefit you most, consult your certified professional to discuss all options.

After I mail or drop off my application, what happens?

The KCDHH Telecommunications Access Program (TAP) staff will review your application in the order it was received. The information on the application will be verified and a determination reached as to:

  • Whether the application is complete
  • If all required verification is included
  • If the eligibility requirements are met


If information is missing from your application, you will receive a letter explaining what is missing. This will cause a delay in the approval of your application.

You will be notified in writing within sixty (60) calendar days or receipt of your application, whether your application has been approved or denied, or additional information is needed.

Approved applicants can expect to receive the equipment directly from the vendor. The equipment is delivered free of charge to the participant's home via UPS or Fed Ex. Training can be provided upon request.

What if the equipment needs repair?

Equipment distributed by the Telecommunications Access Program (TAP) has a four (4) year warranty with the company that provided your equipment. If you are still a resident of Kentucky, repair and maintenance not caused by consumer misuse or abuse is covered by the warranty. If the equipment you received from the program has been damaged, contact us and report the damage and you will be given instructions on how to obtain repairs. DO NOT ATTEMPT TO REPAIR THE EQUIPMENT YOURSELF as this voids the warranty.

When can I apply again?

If you receive equipment from the Telecommunications Access Program (TAP) you are eligible to apply again if:

  1. Equipment was stolen and you filed a police report within thirty (30) days of the theft and notified KCDHH within ten (10) days of filing the police report.
  2. Equipment was destroyed in a natural disaster (verification required).
  3. Equipment is more than four (4) years old and is obsolete or no longer functional (verification required).
  4. Disability status has changed, such as vision or hearing deterioration (professional re-certification required).
  5. Equipment is no longer appropriate for your disability and a more appropriate device is available through this program. (KCDHH makes this determination)

Since equipment is provided on a first-come, first-served basis, first time applicants are given priority over reapplicants when program funds are low. Replacement equipment may be issued to consumers who have previously received equipment through this program and reapply, if funds are available.

What if I don't qualify for equipment?

If you are not eligible for equipment through the program you can purchase equipment from one of the many vendors available nationwide or you could be eligible for a low interest loan from the Kentucky Assistive Technology Loan Corporation (KATLC). Another possible resource you may want to look into is Kentucky Assistive Technology Service (KATS).

How do I contact the vendor about an issue I am having with my CapTel phone?

CapTel phone users experiencing issues with their device are encouraged to contact CapTel first, using one of the following means (Tell them you are a Kentucky TAP consumer when you contact them):

  • Phone: 1-888-269-7477 (V/TTY/CapTel) Available 24/7 daily except on major holidays
  • Online Chat: www.CapTel.com/customer-service.php
  • Email: CapTel@CapTel.com
  • FAX: 1-608-204-6167
  • En Espanol: 1-866-670-9134
  • U.S. Mail:
          Attn: CapTel Customer Service
          450 Science Drive
          Madison, WI 53711

As a reminder, CapTel 800/800i users have one-touch access to Customer Support. They simply press the blue CUST SERV button on their CapTel phone to be immediately connected to a helpful Customer Service representative.


Want to jump to a specific question in the video? Please scroll the video to the the time corresponding to the question of interest:

  • How do I activate my iPhone? (00:32)
  • What does the service plan include? (00:58)
  • Can I change my service plan or phone number when I receive my iPhone? (01:31)
  • Will I receive a bill from AT&T? (02:02)
  • Do I have to sign a contract with AT&T or will they do a credit check on me? 02:27)
  • When and how do I transfer my iPhone's service into my own personal account? (02:43)
  • Should I cancel my current contract with my wireless provider to get a TAP iPhone? (04:00)
  • Does the mobile CapTel app use minutes and data? (04:29)
  • Can I transfer my old SIM card from another phone to my iPhone? (04:50)
  • If I move to a new home, do I have to report it to KCDHH? (05:22)