Parents Senior Citizens Veterans Bulletin Vlog Publications Public VP Library DeaFestival Contact Us Sitemap
Search KCDHH:
Go to our Instagram pageFind us on Facebook

Information Services FAQ

Click on a question below to see the answer.

My mother has lost a lot of her hearing now that she is elderly. She has a hard time on the phone. What can KCDHH do for her?

The KCDHH has a program called the Telecommunications Access Program which provides free telephone equipment to assist deaf, hard of hearing and speech impaired persons on the phone. You can learn more about what the program has to offer by clicking Telecommunications Access Program.

I found out I need a hearing aid but can't afford one. Who can help me?

There are a multitude of agencies that offer financial assistance to individuals who cannot afford to purchase hearing aids. Click here to find the Hearing Aid Financial Resources (Accessible PDF) closest to you.

Is my doctor/lawyer required to provide me with accommodations for effective communication? What can I do if they refuse?

Title III of the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) requires doctors, lawyers and many other public accommodations to provide accommodations that will give deaf and hard of hearing individuals access to effective communication.

Please see our Your Rights and the Law page to learn about the various laws that apply to accommodations and which agency you should contact if your request for equal access is denied.

My child's IEP states that she needs an interpreter, speech therapist, and/or assistive devices but the school is not providing it. Is there anything I can do?

Go to our Education page for information and resources related to education for deaf and hard of hearing children.

We just found out that our child has a hearing loss. Please help!

Please visit our Parents page to learn about programs and services that are available to assist families with deaf and hard of hearing children.

How can I find an interpreter?

Please visit the Board of Interpreters for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing to find a list of fully licensed interpreters. If you are a state agency and need an interpreter or captioner, you may contact our Access Center and ask that they find the interpreter/captioner for you.

For assistance with other questions or concerns that are not listed here please contact the Access Center.